Monday, September 27, 2010

Policy Blog #5 (Op-ed)

Prompt:
Write a letter to the editor or Op-ed piece about an issue about which you are passionate and post it on your blog.


Whenever it is time to elect new political officials into office, debates on hot topics begin. The media also begin flashing the messages of what particular parties stand for. One thing that seems to be a hot topic is the welfare system. Normally I hear that Democrats or liberals, if you want to call them, take a stand of more government aid, they are the ones who seek out programs that will provide aid to people in need, and the Republicans, or the conservatives, take the stand that there should not be a lot of government aid, because it is not societies responsibility to assist everyone who can't help themselves.

Although there is some truth in that I do think it is slightly misleading, because both parties have provided many programs that people in society have benefited from. Because I think that both parties believe that there needs to be help for those that need it. Although I think that the government has a responsibility to the people of the nation to provide them with resources. However, I have recently been asking myself and wondering "where does the line get drawn?" "how long can the government be expected to provide for people" "When does the responsibility shift from the government and more to the individual?"

When I ask these questions I understand that there are people in our nation who desperately need some sort of aid because they can not do it alone, but how long? Many programs have been established as temporary aid,but it turns in to something more permanent. The government can not be held responsible for getting individuals back on their feet if individuals do not take some responsibility themselves. When I drive by a government housing location, I can't help but notice how many adults I see just sitting outside smoking or having a beer in the middle of the day. It makes me think that they are not working on trying to better their own situation because they are just expecting the government to bail them out.

I am not saying that everyone who receives some kind of government aid is abusing it, but I can't help but wonder how many people continue to live in poverty because our current welfare system is flawed and allows for abuse and nothing is being done about it.

I would like to see our government not only develop programs that would encourage individuals to take responsibility for their own lives and conditions, but also seek ways to adjust our current programs. Even if that means making the application process of who qualifies more difficult or if it means creating a system with a tighter monitor of the individuals who receive aid.

3 comments:

Jaclyn said...

I am neither a "liberal" nor a "conservative" when it comes to this issue because I don't think that either party gets it right. I am conflicted on the topic of social aide programs though because I feel like they are, whether we like it or not, really needed. Take health care for example, shouldn't basic services be free? If someone needs the help of the fire department, don't they come? If someone needs the assistance of the police, don't they come? We all pay for these services by paying taxes yet we very rarely use them. Granted, health care is a bit more complex than fire and police services, but the same idea could be applied. BASIC care could be free or reduced in cost to everyone (and if it is free for one it should be free to another). IE, shots, doctor visits for preventative care, emergencies. I would be willing to support something like this. Americans are ready and willing to give free medical care to the needy overseas, but don't want to have anything to do with our own needy.
As far as other social services go, I understand the sentiment that we shouldn't have it because it is so abused. The fact of the matter is that it is highly abused, but the problem is so much more complex than that. We can cry "fix the system!" all we want, but if no one has a real practical solution, then it won't get fixed. The system has been broken for so long, no one knows how to exactly fix it. (The mean side of me says round the lazies up and ship 'em somewhere else but the compassionate side of me really wants to help them...even though they are lazy)
There has to be someway to provide basic social services to the masses without infringing upon the taxpayers too much. It's our moral duty to help the helpless...but how far we should extend that help is where the debate lies.

Gabbie said...

Today is one of those days that I feel like in spite of my many mistakes, I did something right! I am so proud of you Jaclyn and Maddie! You are both brilliant, compassionate, thoughtful, caring young women. The world is a better place because of women like you. God is smiling....if only the rest of the world could be more like you! I have hope that with your generation, we will all wake up and realize that it is not just about us....before it's too late.
Always proud to be your momma!

Bruce said...

I think the solution to the problem is twofold. One the government should tax the people less. The more money that people have in their pocket, the more they will give to charity. In fact the government could make charitable contributions 100% tax deductible. As charity organizations receive more money, there would be more available to assist those in need. This method was actually the biblical way to accomplish the task. Charity organizations not only help those in need, but they also provide more one on one connection. One of the problems with the social welfare system is that there is no accountability. Social workers, case managers, whatever they are called do not have the ability to monitor every individual. Thus the government gives a hand out, but not a hand up. I do have some experience in this area as a pastor and as a former hospital employee. It is not that complicated. Tax less and increase charitable giving. I mean if Warren Buffet wants to give away billions of dollars I can think of some charitable organizations that could benefit. Hey this is just my two cents worth, but it has been forged in the fire of real life and experience. Great Blog Maddie. Keep up the good work.